Lantern Builders Union (LBU)
Join the Lantern Builders Union (LBU Local 709)! We’re a group of dedicated and creative lantern builders who build installation lanterns for the Victoria Park Lantern Festival, participate in building projects for promotional and fundraising initiatives, and keep the light of the festival glowing!
The LBU typically meets on Sundays from 2:00 – 5:00 pm during the winter and spring months. If you are interested, please send an email to [email protected] first to ensure that there will be someone at the pool house.
Membership is FREE.
To be a member in good standing, you must:
- be aged 13 to 100 (if you are 13 to 17, you must have a signed permission form from your parent/guardian)
- enjoy building lanterns
- respect the Pool House: keep it neat and tidy, put away tools and materials, help put away other people’s tools and materials, refrain from games and playfulness that would damage the lanterns, etc.
- be willing to learn new skills and share your existing skills with other LBU members
The benefits of membership are:
- having access to the Pool House for open studio sessions, which typically take place on Sundays from 2 pm to 5 pm over winter and spring (please check with us at [email protected] first if you’re planning on attending to ensure that there will be someone at the pool house).
- having access to the Pool House for special lantern builds throughout the year
- flashing your LBU membership card around town (lantern pride)
- collecting LBU merit badges (lantern pride)
- participating in the building of amazing lanterns and building projects with creative and community art-loving folks
For more information about the LBU (or to join), please send an email to [email protected].
We’ll get you enrolled so you can be a card-carryin’, badge-sportin’, lantern carryin’, banner wavin’ LBU member!
To learn more about the LBU, read An Unauthorized History of the LBU Local 709.