We re-use & recycle in a big way
Wide-Mouthed Glass Jars
Each year, we reuse hundreds of wide-mouthed glass jars by turning them into lanterns.
During our on-season (early May to early August), we actively seek donations of glass jars for the festival.
Jars should be wide-mouthed (large enough to fit a tealight candle through) and 1 litre (maximum) in size. Jars can be donated with or without lids. Clean jars are appreciated but we will remove the labels.
Ever Green Recycling
FOVP has an account at Ever Green Recycling depots (http://www.greencan.ca/). You can give to the Friends of Victoria Park just by dropping off your recyclables at any Ever Green depot.
All you have to do is tag your bags and boxes with our name, Friends of Victoria Park, and leave them to be counted. The refund deposits will then be tallied and deposited in our account. We will use your donations to run our programmes and events in the park.
Re-using – other materials we accept
Here are some other materials that we will gladly accept:
- Large yogurt, margarine or ice cream tubs – with or without lids
- Clear plastic containers WITH screw on lids
- Large plastic food buckets with or without lids (i.e. beef buckets and honey buckets)
- Large plastic and metal cooking oil or olive oil containers
- Clean, unused PVC piping of any diameter and length
- Ethernet and Telephone wire, computer and other wire/cables
- Unused galvanized steel wire, any gauge
- Wooden poles or dowels or old wooden broom handles
We use these materials for making glass jar lanterns, bowls for our glue, hanging apparatus for our lanterns and building creative storage units. We also use some of these materials in our arts and craft activities in our summer day camp programme.